Durty water and young flyers

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by willowbranchfarm, Oct 4, 2011.

1. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Why do chicks put food and there bedding in water? I feel like I have to clean there water all the time. I dont mind doing it just thought I would ask. Also do chicks start flying when there one week old? Cause mine are jumping and flaping there wings. Thanks:)

2. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Hello any one there? LOL

3. dsquawker

dsquawker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Bluegrass State
    I think the bedding ends up in the water because when they scratch the ground or floor it ends up drifting into it. Also it could be they are eating it (Say if its Timothy) and when they go to drink water some is still in their beaks and it ends up in their water. Try lifting the water container about four to five inches off the ground. No chicks do not start flying when they are only a week old. They are stretching and getting use to their new feathers and wings.

Quote:

4. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG] from Texas and no they don't fly. They are getting used to their wings and feathers since they are growing up to become beautiful adult birds

5. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Happy to have you aboard!

[​IMG]

6. Chick-n-itis

Chick-n-itis Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    The Mountains of WV
    Hello, we set our waterer and food on bricks for the small chicks and with the bigger chickens we put their food and waterer on cinder blocks. It does help to keep their food and water cleaner.

7. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Thanks good idea.

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. We always elevate our waterers as well, and it really helps keep them cleaner. Just make sure it's level with the back of the smallest chick so that the chicks can be sure to reach it.

9. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    We do the cinder block thing too.. Works very well for us. Having sand in the run keeps things cleaner too!
    [​IMG]

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana! Glad you joined! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by