dusk

will ducks go in the shed/coop at dusk like chickens
cheers fil

If you train them, yes they will... key is to keep it on a schedule, ducks don't like change... and make sure to lock them inside once they're in... if their house is left open, they'll eventually go back out for midnight swims...

Mine don't go inside on their own. They like to party after dark. I agree that they can learn routine though. When I go out to lock the chicken coop after dark the ducks are usually awake and active. It's not too hard to herd them into their house and lock the door behind them, usually I just stand at one end of the run and shine the light towards their house and they'll all climb in. If I'm going to be awake for awhile longer and the coyotes aren't around I like to let them stay out late, they seem to enjoy it, and I'll go lock them up just before I go to bed.

Mine don't go inside on their own. They like to party after dark. I agree that they can learn routine though. When I go out to lock the chicken coop after dark the ducks are usually awake and active. It's not too hard to herd them into their house and lock the door behind them, usually I just stand at one end of the run and shine the light towards their house and they'll all climb in. If I'm going to be awake for awhile longer and the coyotes aren't around I like to let them stay out late, they seem to enjoy it, and I'll go lock them up just before I go to bed.
How do you know if the coyotes aren't around? no way I could leave mine out after dark.

How do you know if the coyotes aren't around? no way I could leave mine out after dark.

Oh, the ducks are in a fully fenced run with a motion light and I have 2 dogs. If there's any suspicious activity my dogs will alert me. I trust them to see and hear things I can't. If my dogs are on high alert (or the neighbors' dogs), the ducks get locked in their house (more secure than the run). If everyone is calm (and I am home) the ducks can stay in the fenced run a bit later. They are out, but still locked up, they don't get to free range due to predators and close neighbors, they are always fully fenced.

Back
Top Bottom