1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dust bath Chickens! *PICS*

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mondotomhead, Mar 3, 2012.

1. mondotomhead

mondotomhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
  2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Cute! they look so happy!

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I say a big YES!!! They're in love with it! You have just made your chickens very, very happy! Enjoy!

4. Mykee

Mykee Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] What is the difference between peat/sand mixture and regular soil for dustbathing?

5. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Oh my goodness! Awesome! They love it! You are a fantastic chicken parent!!!! [​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Ah...I remember when I had fun rolling around in dirt....

7. ahhhh Oldchick.... you made me laugh so hard. I could just picture it, and it was NOT a good picture!!!!!! Funny as h#* though. [​IMG]

Nothing really different than the regular run of the mill soil, just for the 'yuppy chickens' for some reason, the peat stays fluffier and warmer. It would be like us taking a bath in cold hard water or in a bubble bath with a grit stone to buff with.

[​IMG]

I came on those two ingrediants by mistake last year when i was prepping my rose beds, and they have just had their 'preferred method' since.

Glad your girls love it!!! they look like they are happy campers to me.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  8. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Clever - I'll have to remember that mixture! Gorgeous chickens. Old chick, I have a vision of you rolling in a giant sand box with your chickens! Yikes!

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    When I was a kid, I thought nothing of sunning with the chickens, roosters and all! Needless to say, I didn't have many human friends.

10. Maybe that's what's wrong with me. No wonder I have no human friends. and they always called me a chicken. [​IMG] actually, i can remember as a young girl of about 6 or so going into the coop and climbing through the trap door to sit with the girls in the pen too.

Guess we are not all that wierd ah OldChick?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by