Dust bath--DE??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pawsplus, Jun 27, 2011.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    So my newly reno'd run has leveling sand as the footing. It was damp coming out of the bags, and it's taking a while to dry b/c (1) it's super humid where I live, and (2) the run is covered and under a tree so not lots of sun exposure.

Once it does dry, will it be worth anything as a dust bath? Will they enjoy bathing in sand? Or should I add in a large plant saucer with a combo of sand, peat moss, and DE? DE is nice and dusty, so I was thinking that might work. Other suggestions?

They love their dust baths and I want to make sure they still have a place to do that.

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Mine LOVE dust bathing in sand. For a bit of mite prevention and to dry up any poo that ends up in their sand bath bin, I add a few handfuls of DE and mix it in well. I think DE is too fine and dusty to be used as a dust bath alone. One chicken roll in the pure DE and it'll go poof everywhere in a great cloud [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've never used sand but I think people find they dust bathe in it when it is dry. I wouldn't use a lot of DE wherever they dust bathe, though, as it is so irritating to lungs -- just a sprinkle. They don't really want dust to dust bathe in, I don't think, so much as something fine like sand or dry dirt that they can get up under their feathers. Lots of people do make a dust bath, and you may want to if the run stays damp. Things like peat moss, sand, wood ashes, even dried dirt are fine for this.

4. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    OK. I'll wait and see how it dries out and if they start using it as is, I guess!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  5. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I have sand in my run and mine don't dust bath in the sand. I fill a container with peat moss and sprinkle DE in there and they love it. They get so excited when I refill it. They do kick most of it out, which was getting on the sand and making the sand more dirty, so I got a very small kiddie pool and filled that. It's high enough that they aren't able to kick it out. (about 10"). They even eat the peat moss. You should heAR the roo call the girls when I re-fill it (you knoW...the "I found food" call.)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  6. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    Just read this, when your using wood ash you need to sift it to remove large pieces as they are too rough on feathers. equal parts sand and woodash, and just a sprinkle of de.

7. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I don't have a fireplace so won't be using woodash. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by