Dust bath for chicks question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by moonflowers, Apr 15, 2009.

1. moonflowers

moonflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    I noticed some of my 2 and a half week old chicks were trying to take "dustbaths" (at least I assume that's what it was as they were digging a hole in the pellets, and rolling around and flapping like crazy) in the pine pellets we are using. I thought maybe it would be nice to put a bowl of sand in there for them to use instead (especially since a couple of them really need baths as they happened to be under their friends at an unfortunate time). Anyway, I put a bowl of sand in there and they all went CRAZY trying to eat it. I wouldn't be worried if they ate a little, I figure that would just be like grit but the way they were chowing down you'd think I'd put in a bowl of chopped up worms. I removed it for now just in case but am wondering if it would be okay to put it back in. I would hope they would eventually figure out how to put it to good use. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! Moonflowers

2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I have a bowl in mine. Put it in there after they were dustbathing in the pine shavings.

My last batch would dustbath in the towels on my lap. Felt funny and was too cute!

3. moonflowers

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Aww, that would be so cute! So it doesn't matter how much sand they eat? I don't want them not to get enough nutrients because they have only been ingesting sand!

4. moonflowers

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Okay I put it back in a little further from the heat lamp and after a few pecks and eating they figured out what it was for. Now one of them won't stop bathing in it. The others seem to want a turn, it's adorable! I have to go buy some school supplies for tomorrow but I'll try to post a couple pictures when I get back.

5. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Its so cute to watch the little ones dust bathe! Pics, yes!!

6. moonflowers

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Here they are sharing a bath (I didn't have my camera out in time to get a good angle on it but you can see Blossom and Sophie sharing the dish.
    [​IMG]

Here is Sophie having a good long bath.
    [​IMG]

Here is everyone else telling her it is their turn in the "bathroom."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Faverolle Queen

Faverolle Queen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Missouri
    What kind of sand do you use? I read you are suppose to get the playsand. I guess like you put in the kid's sandbox.

[​IMG]

8. moonflowers

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    We had some landscaping sand laying around so I just used that. I didn't think it should matter too much since they are going to be outside at some point anyway so will have access to anything out there. However, if someone knows I shouldn't use that kind of sand please let me know so I can take it out!

9. chickenmum

chickenmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Well, if they were really eating it up, then maybe take it out. It isn't really what they are supposed to primarily eat, and if they fill up on that, they might not eat as much real food, right? Besides, think of a stomach full of sand.[​IMG]

10. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    ares are the same age from murrey.
    25 buff orps
    25 susex
    and they dust bath in hardwood ashes we give em

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by