1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dust bath for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by khable, May 7, 2007.

1. khable

khable Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    LaGrangeville, NY
    Hi all,

My babies are two weeks old now and I notice that they sometimes try to bury themselves in the pine shavings... kinda like they are rolling around in it.

I am assuming this is like a dust bath??

Should I put a tray of sand in the brooder or something?

If so, would an alumimum (disposable) baking pan be ok? and what do you put in it?? what kind of sand etc?

[​IMG]

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Kim

[​IMG] Mom to 6 Buff Orpington babies!

2. homechick

homechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Mineola, Tx
    mine found an old pile of leaves I missed when raking and they went NUTS.

3. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Our chicks were able to go outside at 2 weeks old they will stretch their wings out and flutter around on the ground like they are taking a dust bath they also prune themselves a lot. They have their own hen house separated from the adults.

4. urbanhomesteader

urbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I would think a little pie tin and some play sand would work well. If you don't have access to sand Toys R Us sells a 3lb. bag of Replacement Sand for $9.99. Dirt from your garden or even potting soil will work just make sure it is realy dry.

5. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    If you put sand in, don't expect it to stay in that pie pan. When chicks dustbathe, they kick sand EVERYWHERE. It's going to be all over the place within minutes.

If you do get some sand, try to buy some very, very fine sand. The sandbox kind is a bit too gritty for babies, I've been told. (I'm lucky and have a natural area of fine sandy soil in my chickenyard, so I've never had to buy any.) Then again, it could be really good for them to have for grit.

Oh, and WalMart has a bag of gardening sand for about $2. Dunno how gritty it is, but happened to see it yesterday when I walked thru the gardening dept. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by