dust bath for little ones

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bethandjoeync, Mar 31, 2009.

1. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    I was wondering if i should put some dust bathing material (sand and ash) for them to use instead of the wood shavings?

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Mine dust bathe on a towel & in the shavings. They haven't touched the bowl of dirt I put in there.

I've GOT to post the towel bathing video... hil-ar-ee-us.

3. bethandjoeync

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    would love to see it.

I think we put too many wood shavings in ours
    we didn't want it to be slippery, so they wouldn't have the cray spread legs, but after listening and looking at lots of pics, I am wondering if we have too much

4. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I don't really think you can have too much... many book recommend four or more inches deep. I used 2-3 inches deep in the brooder and then about 4 inches deep in the coop (after 2 weeks of age) and they walk around on them fine! After a bit of time, they compact them down a bit... are yours having trouble walking on the shavings? Also, mine dust bathe in the shavings all the time and seem to love it. Things are too muddy here to find any "dust" outside right now.

5. bethandjoeync

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    we have it about 2-3 inches deep as well. and they walk fine, no problems there. I just kept seeing people with paper towels and a dusting of shavings. I didn't know if what we were doing was too much or not. but i think we will stick with what we are doing, because I can turn the shavings and bring up the fresh stuff from the bottom and won't have to clean the brooder out for a few days.

6. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I would say you're doing it the better way. The only time to use paper towels is the first 24 hours... you can lay some on the top of the shavings and sprinkle food on it and they will scratch at it and learn to eat... then once they find the feeder, you can remove them. After that, paper towels or newspaper is just slippery and can cause leg problems. Sounds like you're doing it perfectly... I did the same thing and mine were in there two weeks (then they moved to the coop) and I only had to turn over/stir up the shavings and never had to clean it out while they were in there and there was no smell at all and it was nice and fresh and clean and easy. Keep it up. You're good [​IMG]

7. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I ground up some food for the tiny chick to eat and put in a little cat food bowl and they have all decided to dust bathe in the food bowl.

Then they can have a snack while they clean themselves later. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by