1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dust bath ideas

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cluckin tractor, Jan 15, 2011.

1. cluckin tractor

cluckin tractor Chillin' With My Peeps

what do you use to give ur flock a dust bath

im having trouble thinking of ideas

pictures might help

2. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    I just use good old honest dust [​IMG] perhaps it doesn't have a nice aroma, but it's abundant and the chickens love it. Even when I'm not home they dustbathe under the ramp or the henhouse (it's elevated)

[​IMG]

3. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Our winters are usually a bit wet and that keeps the girls from dustbathing up around the house where they usually bathe.

[​IMG]

So I bought a plastic tote from Walmart and put a combo of sifted dirt from their fav place, a few ashes from the stove, some DE, and some play sand in it (just 3 or 4 inches on the bottom. Every week or so, I add another small bucket of the mix to the bin. I keep it in the coop in a corner for them to use when it is too nasty to be outside. Sometimes when I go in the coop to collect eggs, there is dust in the air from someone dustbathing. The trick it to get it tall enough that the majority of the dirt stays in the dustbath and the shavings stay OUTSIDE the dustbath.

I've also noticed them "dust" bathing in the shavings when I have just added shavings and DE.

4. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    if your girls are inside for the winter, put a cat litter box filled with sand or cooled down wood ash for them to dust in, mine love the wood ash, they eat some and dust in it

5. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I took sand, DE and wood ashes and placed them in a low storage container (like one that you would place under a bed). The girls still dust bathe in their run. But the inside dust bath has only been there for a few days and I hope they discover it. That bag of sand weighed a ton when I was unloading it from my van.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My chickens find their own dustbaths. The adult birds have a big ol' crater going in the garden. It must be a good one too, because the younger birds have discovered it and forsaken their old dustbath under the hibiscus bush for the big birds one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by