Dust bath ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by whittychick, Jan 15, 2014.

1. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    What is everyone using for a dust bath container? The ground has been frozen and somedays it's a mucky muddy mess! What should I Put in the run for a bath area?

2. ydkjenn

ydkjenn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    I'm very new at this and don't even have chickens yet, but would a large plastic kitty litter pan work?

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  4. deacons

deacons Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I have one place in my run that is covered, and I've managed to keep it unfrozen even down below 0*F. It is a mix of sand and peat moss. I know a lot of people don't like peat moss as they worry it is too dusty, but it has worked for me.

I also have a 6 gallon rubber feed tub, like this one, that they will use on really extreme days when they are stuck inside, with the same sand/peat moss mix.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  5. colburg

colburg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Loving, NM
    Have any 30 or 55 gallon plastic drums available? Cut the bottom off 4-6" tall.

6. whittychick

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    Oh yea great ideas! I have some things in my basement that would probably work. The kitty litter box would defiantly work well too! Now what do I put in there? I can't use soil because the ground is frozen! Buy sand from somewhere?

7. Birdybooo

Birdybooo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2013
    Vic, Aust
    I made a mini raised garden bed about 8inches high, then I fill it with garden soil, keep the soil in and they seem to love it.

8. gaiagranola

gaiagranola New Egg

Jan 18, 2014
    I saw elsewhere in the forum that people were using ash from the woodstove for their quail dust bath. Has anyone tried this with chickens? Also, as for a container, I am guessing that it would be best to be heavy, so they wouldn't tip it over when the stand on the sides (as I suspect they would!) Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

9. colburg

colburg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Loving, NM

I use a mix of wood ash and DE. Once I got the nits and mites eradicated, it seems to be keeping them off.

10. whittychick

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    Awesome! Thanks for all the wonderful info! Very helpful :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by