Dust bath in a cereal bowl. lol

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ShannonS79, May 19, 2010.

1. ShannonS79

ShannonS79 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2010
    [​IMG]

This is so funny to me. But they just REALLY love the bowls with dirt in them. When I take them outside, they don't do this in the dirt, just in the bowls inside. haha. Cuties. I love them so much.

Also my sweetest most lovable lap chick seems to be first to everything. The meal worms, the dust bowl, my hand. She is the sweetest, but I think she may be the queen of the flock also.

2. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    [​IMG]

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

It sounds like your lap chick might be a rooster.

They tend to be the bravest, first to try things, and very "loving" and friendly when young.

4. ShannonS79

May 8, 2010
    I hope Chicky is not a Roo! But that really does sound like how s/he is.

5. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Shannon, what is the bowl full of specifically, just dirt from the yard? And how old are they? I'd like to try introducing dirt to my chicks, which are 16 days old. Why do some say it might be a roo? I have a separate post asking about a Mille Fleur D'Uccle, and wondering if it is roo because it seems to be more advanced than the others, but I was told that doesn't mean anything.

6. ShannonS79

May 8, 2010
    Quote:Yep, it's just dirt from their run. [​IMG] They are 15 days old. Tala said this "It sounds like your lap chick might be a rooster.

They tend to be the bravest, first to try things, and very "loving" and friendly when young." and she exhibits all these traits, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she is not a he. lol.

7. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] Love your picture! That is an excellent idea, giving them an indoor bathing spot![​IMG] GOOD JOB!

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:Yep, it's just dirt from their run. [​IMG] They are 15 days old. Tala said this "It sounds like your lap chick might be a rooster.

They tend to be the bravest, first to try things, and very "loving" and friendly when young." and she exhibits all these traits, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she is not a he. lol.

My lead mille fleur hen is exactly as you describe. She was always cuddly as a chick, always eager to see what kind of treat I was bringing.

And she's the first hen to knock the cats out of my lap and cuddle with me when I've had a bad day. [​IMG]
    I hope she's still that way in a few weeks. She's setting her first nest and I'm wondering if being a mom will affect her personality...

9. ShannonS79

May 8, 2010
    Quote:Thanks! I was thinking it was a pretty good idea too, then I saw a large poof of dust coming out the top of their bin. [​IMG] whats a little more chick dust to clean up. Oh well. [​IMG] It makes them happy on the rainy days.

10. ShannonS79

May 8, 2010
    My lead mille fleur hen is exactly as you describe. She was always cuddly as a chick, always eager to see what kind of treat I was bringing.

And she's the first hen to knock the cats out of my lap and cuddle with me when I've had a bad day. [​IMG]
    I hope she's still that way in a few weeks. She's setting her first nest and I'm wondering if being a mom will affect her personality...

Oh I like hearing this!! The Roos are a little slower to grow their feathers, right? Chickies feathers are coming in the same as the other 9. I hope raising babies doesn't change your Mille Fleur hen's temperament. She sounds like such a love.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by