Dust Bath Material

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tdbrueggen, Nov 29, 2013.

1. tdbrueggen

tdbrueggen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    This May sound silly, but what do people use for internal dust baths? Obviously the bird will just dig a hole outside where they want, but I'd like to get them a basin in the coop. Would pure DE be overkill, or too fine? If like some DE for the parasite removal, but what else to mix in?

2. farmtotable

farmtotable Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    My Coop
    I use a mix of dry dirt and DE and they seem to love it. I've also heard you can use sand....

3. farmtotable

farmtotable Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    My Coop
    PS - no such thing as silly questions! If you don't ask, how will you learn? :)

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I use woodstove ashes, DE, sand. Whatever I have on hand seasonally. I have mine outside under cover...I wouldn't put woodstove ashes inside a structure due to sparks still alive even one month later I have read.

I use a fire pit for the bath. So metal. Any sparks won't catch fire. Of course these are cooled ashes.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  5. tdbrueggen

tdbrueggen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    Very nice, thanks to all for the replies.

Indeed there is no such thing as a stupid question, but it seems rather silly to ask what material to use to make a dust bath..."uh...dust!"

I suppose I can just whip up a batch of wood shavings and DE for them. I was just concerned that pure DE might be too dusty and give them respiratory problems or something like that. I wonder if I can just cut a bucket lid in half, then lay it on it's side and fill a few inches to make a sufficient and weather tight dust bath. Should be simple enough.

6. trudyg

trudyg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    I use a plastic tote laying on its side. I cut a hole in the lid so they can get in but the dirt won't spill out. I use peat moss w/ some dirt and DE. They're so funny, they wait for me to move it so they can get the crickets underneath it. Once, there was a great big, fat lizard thing (black with spots), really sluggy looking. They had a great time with him!

7. juanmmg54

juanmmg54 Chillin' With My Peeps

La ceniza de madera es muy buena para desparasitar las aves, y a ellas les gusta mucho tomar esos baños, una forma de ponerlo seria en la cubierta de una rueda, echando la ceniza en el centro.de la misma.

8. ampho

ampho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    Northern NJ
    I use a dishpan with childrens playsand! They love it! and it scoops clean with my "strainer scoop" just like the poop boards.
    [​IMG]

9. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    I would not use straight DE, mix a cup of DE with a bag of play sand and put in a cheap kitty litter pan/box. Hardwood ashes also work very good. They will much appreciate a dusting area inside when the ground gets frozen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by