1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dust Bath Mixtures?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenCrazed, Mar 22, 2011.

1. ChickenCrazed

ChickenCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    I would love to know what everyone is using for dust baths...I have ash from our pellet stove and hubby is going to pitch it...Should I use this for a dust bath?...IF so do you mix anything else in with it?

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I am not sure about using ash, seems like it could cause respiratory problems if they inhale it. I just buy play sand for mine plus they are in a run that we till often with our mantis.

3. ChickenCrazed

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    I have heard that it is beneficial to mix the ash with sand...I too was worried about inhalation of the fine ash dust...But rolling in the dry dust in the garden is pretty fine also...Hmmmmm....

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mine just use the dirt on the ground?

We put ashes in our compost pile. I'd think you could mix the ash in with the sand/dirt.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Wood ash is a traditional dust bath ingredient for chickens. You can mix it with fine dirt or sand. Chickens have been known to find an ash pile and dust in straight ash, too. Chickens sometimes like to dust bathe in peat moss, too.

6. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    If I have hens that are in pens I use a mixture of sand from my DS sandbox and DE.

7. ChickenCrazed

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks everyone...I may try using the ash mixed with sand and see how they do...I bet the girls will love it!

8. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mine use the dirt in the yard but sometimes I supplement it with ash from my fireplace. They love it! Plus they'll find it anyway, I use it in the garden before planting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by