Dust bath/sand box question???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by teresac, Jan 28, 2009.

1. teresac

teresac Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    Blairsville, GA
    I am getting ready for my first flock. I am in the N. GA Mountains with red clay.

Do I need to put a sand box in the run for their dust bath? If so, what kind of sand? dirt? whatever do I put in there????[​IMG]

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I have a naturally sandy soil. Basically all I do is add wood ash and a sprinkle of DE to their favorite spot to dust bathe. A sandbox sounds like a very good idea, although you could probably get away with a shallow hole and putting sand in that... just a thought.

Best of luck!!

Julie [​IMG]

3. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    We're in NC. We have red clay loam - not quite as dense as red clay. We mix 25% wood ashes in our dust boxes. We use mortar mixing pans as the actual dust boxes. They're black, about 18" x 24" x 8" deep - available at most of the building box stores like Lowe's.

You could also mix sand with your clay. Basically you want some small particles. The birds work these under the feathers and down to their skin as part of the bath. It deters mites.

ETA: Many people use DE as well. We don't. We've never had a mite problem, so have not bothered to find or use DE.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by