Dust bath size?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ImportTheBest, Apr 6, 2017.

1. ImportTheBest

ImportTheBest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    Lex, KY
    Our chickens are going to be in a permanent run so I want to make a good sized dustbath for them that will be in the run and under cover so it doesn't get wet every time it rains.

But what size is a good size to make it?

There will be 11 chickens (whoops, I blame chicken math) ranging from a standard polish to a buff orpington in size. I know they won't all use the dust bath at the same time, so maybe big enough for 3 at a time?? What do you recommend?

FYI I'm hoping to construct the outer frame and walls from scrap 2x4s and fence boards.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd go with one that's big enough for 4, my chickens often go dustbathing in groups

3. fightingbunny

fightingbunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2016
    Maryland
    Okay, how big is one that is big enough for 4?

4. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

It of course depends on the size of the chickens. Go with about 1 sq foot per bird, more for bigger birds, less for smaller

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My dust bath for 4 birds is 42" square and they comfortably fit that. It's a small garden bed kit from Home Depot. If you're building your own I'd go 48" square as that's an easy length to cut from lumber.

6. ImportTheBest

ImportTheBest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    Lex, KY
    Okay, thanks so much! I'll plan for that in the run asap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by