Dust Bath vs Dirt Bath

Linda in San Diego

Songster
11 Years
May 11, 2008
San Diego
We have never had a formal lawn, much to my neighbor's dismay. Lots of fruit trees and bushes. We took out a large pepper tree under which no plants would grow and are still working on the whole yard layout thing. The pullets, 4 weeks and counting, were put in the coop/run this weekend. The white one insits on taking dust baths, but it is not "dust" it is older than you can know black, loose, topsoil stuff. Ages and ages of decomposing leaves have laid there and it is not really "dirt". Anyway, she managed to coat herself so well that you can see the dirt making her light skin dark under the white feathers.
My question, is this a problem? Should I provide something like sand or is all good? LOL that was 2 questions!

Dirt bath = Dust bath.

Our flock would love your dirt, they are "blessed" with the confounded red clay and really have to work on getting it loose enough to dust themselves with.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

We have pretty fine loose soil and it is perfect for dust baths, but it does make for some dirty chickens! "Bath" is a good word for the pumping/rolling/wiggling dance they love to do in the dirt, but it really does not get them "clean". If they seem to be enjoying it and are healthy, then it is perfect!

I just bought my chickens one of those sand boxes that look like a turtle. I put some miracle grow potting soil in it for them to bath in. They love it!

I took my also 4 weeks old babies out in the chicken run today. They started to scracth, flop, row over, dance and all kind of stuff. I did not if something was wrong since these are our first baby chicks. Thanks Linda for asking your question. Thanks everyone else for the answers. Makes me feel good that they are having fun. Best wishes with your chicks Linda....

I put a little bit of diatomatious earth and Boric Acid in with some oyster shell powder and wood ash. Along with lowes play sand, and lots of dirt filtered through a one quarter inch hardware cloth (wire screen). The diatomatious earth is to keep down bacteria I think and the boric acid and wood ash keep out other pests (bugs) Don't put too much boric acid or wood ash in as they can burn the chicken's skin. This is in the coop. Outside they go to my garden where the dirt is loose and filled with about a hundred years of coal dust. I don't really know what I'm doing but they seem to enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom