1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dust bath

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kmyers, Oct 25, 2016.

1. kmyers

kmyers Just Hatched

Oct 24, 2016
    we made a dust bath out of an old tire its in the run. Does it matter if the sand and stuff get wet from rain or snow? Also what should we put in a duster for them? thanks

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    No it won't hurt if it gets wet. Sand drains well so shouldn't take long to dry out.

What do you mean by duster?

3. kmyers

kmyers Just Hatched

Oct 24, 2016
    Is it just sand I am suppesed to use as the dust bath?

4. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    People mix multiple things into duat baths. I've seen sand, wood ashes, dirt and grass, peat moss, DE (although I dont recommend DE). I'm sure others have used other things.

5. psychochickn

psychochickn Just Hatched

Oct 5, 2016
    In my experience dust bath areas work best when they are dry. Chickens take dust baths to reduce parasites such as mites and lice. If that area is wet it has no effect on parasites, and your flock may not use it as much. We also made a dirt bath area out of sand, and the girls love it. Ours is covered with tin roofing. Sprinkling DE is another great way to help them keep parasitic activity to a minimum.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I also tend to think dust is better than sand as the grains of sand might be too large for effective dusting.

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

While it won't hurt a dust bathing area to get wet, the chickens probably won't use them when they are, especially during the cold season. If it's covered, they'll be much more likely to use it during the winter. Although, adversely, they seem to prefer it when it's slightly damp during the summer.

I find the ideal dust bath to include sand, a small amount of wood ash, and mainly consist of very fine dusty dirt (the sort one might find on a curve of a frequently driven dirt road).

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I agree that dust bathing areas should be kept dry. A tire sounds like a great idea, I might try that! Enjoy BYC!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

10. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

When we lived in FL, our native soil was primarily sand and the chickens loved dust bathing in it (but only when dry). I can't recall them ever bathing in the wet sand but they did enjoy standing on wet sand when the outside temperature was hot.

Hope you are enjoying your flock. Thanks for joining us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by