Dust bath?

bs288

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
one of my chicks kicks the pine shavings out of the way then lays down and kicks her feet and rubs her breast on the floor? Looks almost like she is having convulsions. Is this a dust bath? I hate sounding so dumb but I worry all the time about them?

Yep, that's a dustbath!

We solved that problem by getting one of those disposable aluminum cake pans and filling it with clean potting soil, put it in the bottom of the brooder, and let them dust bathe in it. My chicks love it! They seem no worse for the wear, and when we don't put in a pan of dirt for them, they do what yours did. They dig and dustbathe in the shavings. Funny how they just instinctually know what to do.

Thanks for answering. OMG I don't think I was this crazy when my babies were born. I have enjoyed every moment

They're SO adorable when they do that, aren't they????
love.gif
I have one who'll "dust bathe" when I let them out on the carpet...hehee. Wallers around like a little water bug on it's back.

got them Tues. 4 buff orpingtons 2 days. 4 golden buff and 4 darker ones (I have no clue what they are) were (I think they said) 1 week

I can't believe how entertaining they are!! We wanted to get chickens for eggs. I never realized the different breeds, egg colors etc about them. I have been reading for months and have learned so much but have so much more to learn. I love this forum

Back
Top Bottom