1. jpsbcfc

jpsbcfc Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    west midlands, uk
    apologies if this is in the wrong section but i am wondering if i need a special tray or anything for a dust bath?

i have 2 runs, 1 i think will need a try or something as there isnt really anywhere to keep the dust dry.

the first run tho has the shed on legs so there is approx 12-18" of ground clearance and judging by the ditches in the soil under there the girls are already using it for dust baths. i take it i can just sprinkle some DE under there and leave it at that?

does a dust bath have to be kept 100% dry, if so the other run will need something with a lid i think.

thanks.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    It is better if it is dry. You could put a little shelter up in the run.

3. claudicles

claudicles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    My girls seem to like to dustbath in slightly moist soil but I think as our rainfall is so much lower than yours you would hardly class it damp [​IMG] I think they like it that way to coll down but that is a reagonal thing i am sure too. It got up to 38oC yesterday, and it is only spring.

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    You titled the post "dust bath". If it's anything but dry it ain't dust. I might be called a dirt waddle or mud patties but not a dust bath.

5. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I use the tubs that you mix tile grout in. I put them under the nest box wall so they are less likely to poop in them. They are heavy duty and 4 hens fit comfortably in it at the same time. You can find them in Home Depot or Lowes. I use a mix of DE, sand and wood ash, all in equal parts. If I know it is going to be dry for a couple of days I add it to their dust holes outside. They love it.
    If you look on the floor under the nest boxes on the right side you can see the box with a couple of hens enjoying a dust bath. There is another one on the other side of the A-frame roosts.

[​IMG]

6. flockof4

flockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    Dry is best. It never hurts to have some sort of bin with sand or dirt in it. I wasn't providing it for them at first and they ended up getting lice. But once I gave them access to dry dirt, they loved it and rolled in it everyday. Haven't had any trouble with lice since. Good luck.

7. workinnanie

workinnanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    My chickens love their dust baths! keeps the fleas down for sure!

8. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Mine seem to do this ( dust bathe) in the bedding ( pellets and pine shavings combined) they seem to pick the spot where a recent spill has occured with water- so there is a lot of saw dust from the pellets combined with the pine shavings. Should I provide some other source for them? I have a sand run, but they havent dust bathed there yet- they have only been in coop/run for 2 weeks.

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I was kinda supprised yesterday when I feed the meal worm treats I ran my hand down the EE's back. She had so much dirt under her feathers her back was hard. And she wanted it like that. But at night when they go to roost it's all shook out. I know, under the roost is covered in dirt, on top of my white sand.[​IMG] That seems to be natures sevin dust.

10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    mix 5 to 2 or I use 10lbs of sand and 4 to 5 lbs of DE (diatomaceous earth)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by