1. Beachykeen

Beachykeen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    SoCal
    I know it is important for chickens to have a dust bath in either dirt or sand but mine ( Easter Eagger 2, RIR1, and Black Sex linked)hatched on October 17 could not care less about doing it. We are in Southern California and I have provided a space both inside and outside the run for them to take a dust bath but they still "dust bath" in the pine shavings inside the coop. What am I not providing for them?

2. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    You're not doing anything wrong -- they just like to bathe in the shavings! My chickens have found about 4 different spots around the property where they can bathe in fine, dry dirt, but they'll still dig a hole in the bedding to bathe now and then. I haven't actuallly provided them a dust bath since the first batch were chicks.

3. Beachykeen

Beachykeen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    SoCal
    Thanks Clay. My girls don't even start to scratch in the ground unless I start scratching with my garden claw. I draw the line at rolling in the dirt to get them started:lol:

4. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    [​IMG] (You may want to edit the title [​IMG] )

You're providing them with both dirt & sand and they still are choosing the shavings? Hmmm... could it be that the dust bath areas are too compact for them to bathe in, that is, maybe the dirt is packed to tight? But still... I would think they would scratch/ peck at it to "fluff" it up. Would you mind sharing a picture of the run?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by