1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dust Bathes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by simplynewt, Dec 4, 2011.

1. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Since it is cold outside and mostly damp on the ground, what can be used for a dust bath for the hens? I am sure a pan big enough for one of them to fit into but what would be a good product to put in the pan?

Thanks for the replies in advance.

2. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I use granite sand. Them dust in it and eat it for grit. My silly girls dust bathe in the wood shavings also. Not picky at all. I have also added fireplace ashes to the dust bath to make it more dusty.

3. simplynewt

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I didnt know you could use fireplace ashes. I have a ton of that. How often do you supply this "bath" for them?

4. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    At least a few times a month. I just use a soda flat with about and inch and a half of sand and ashe in it. Just a little ash though.

5. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    I use food grade DE, mixed with potting soil. My girls love it!

6. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    I built a sandbox in the run (3'x3'x10") for the girls out of scrap wood and filled it 1/2 way with contractors sand. Contractors sand is a coarse mixed sand and does not pack like play sand. They have also scratched out dust bowls in the chicken pasture(backyard). In wet weather the girls will dust bathe in the shavings in the coop. They really need dust bathing provisions all the time. You never know when the urge will hit them.

7. simplynewt

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I was wondering if it was alright to use DE. I have a small coop so it would have to be outside. Thinking about getting on of those round rubber pans like you see at Jeffers but a soda flat might be better and cheaper.

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:I think they'd appreciate having access to a dust bath at all times. It's certainly good for their feathers and their "personal hygiene."

9. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Now that is is getting cold, I dug up some of the soil from their current dust bath area and mixed it with DE in a large sized cat litter box. They still are getting outside to free range so they are still dusting in the dry ground under the eaves. While it's not quite as nice as their own dust holes, someone has been using the box in the coop.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

10. mikeinri

mikeinri Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2011
    North Smithfield, RI
    I have some of the cardboard material kitty litter boxxes. They come in 3packs at wallyworld or target. I'm going to try that. The all purpose construction sand works great in the coop. Its the perfect grit for them. I have DE to mix in the sand for their dust-bathtub.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by