dust bathing for babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by emjay, Aug 6, 2010.

1. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    at what age can one put a dust bathing box in for the wee ones?

can one use sand with DE mixed in ??

and probiotic yogurt is good for babies too right? helps prevent pasty butt ??

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    They can dust bathe at about 2-3 weeks old. I put red grit and sand in there for them.

3. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I made a dust bath for mine at about 2 weeks. They love it. I added a little DE a couple of days later. It is dirt, sand, some fireplace ashes, and a little DE. The girls have been going out in the run this week (since they turned 3 weeks old), and when I put them back in the brooder, they all pile into the dirt bath. In fact, I have to replace the dirt mixture every 3 or 4 days to keep them happy. I can't believe how dirty they get and what a short time it takes for them to shake the dirt off (and into the air and their food and their water).

I haven't seen any ill effects from the dirt bath or the DE. They are growing like bad weeds in August.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Mine started trying to dirt bath at between 2 and 3 weeks.

5. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    Our chicks start the same to,but ????what is DE??????Sorry husband isn't here to answer for me.

6. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Quote:diatomaceous earth (sp may not be right). It is the discarded shells of "diatoms" in the ocean. The stuff is like fine ground glass, you have to be sure not to breathe it, but it does a job on parasites, and the birds seem to know that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth has more info on it.

7. Dark4

Dark4 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    ME NH border
    Can I use reptile vita sand?

8. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    what about the yougurt?

9. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    My Mother Hen took her chicks dustbathing asap. She took them dustbathing in one of my flower pots near my front door. They would stuff themselves all in the pot together. Trashed the flowers [​IMG]
    My chicks eat what their Mother eats and I feed them yogurt sometimes.

10. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    well, I caught my one week old garage baby, dustbathing in it's food dish. hhmmmm, I guess, I best hurry and build them a proper sand box.

and they LOVED the yogurt, cleaned the dish clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by