Dust bathing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HarleyJane22, Apr 6, 2018.

1. HarleyJane22

HarleyJane22 Chirping

Mar 17, 2018
    Fallbrook Ca
    Man these girls have really grown up. I posted that they finally ate out of my hand and let me pet them. I come home today and check on them, 4 are dust bathing under the heating plate. Ok, I’ll admit I was a little freaked out at first. I thought, they are dust bathing then thought no way 4 would do it at the same time. But they were. Getting some sand for the brooder tomorrow. Can you tell I’m smitten with them

2. HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Songster

Mar 21, 2016
    Maine, USA
    My Coop
    Yep.
    :D

How could you not be? :love From day one (okay day three) they love packing in there together!
    Young bath.jpg old bath.jpg

moniquem and HarleyJane22 like this.
  3. chickengirl778

chickengirl778 Songster

Apr 17, 2017
    So cute! My chicks loved that too!!

4. usmcpilot06

usmcpilot06 Chirping

Mar 21, 2018
    I put a box in my brooder that is mixed with dirt and sand and some ash from the fireplace,,they dont even seem interested.....mine are about 6 weeks old

5. HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Songster

Mar 21, 2016
    Maine, USA
    My Coop
    There are many advocates of wood ash for dust bathing out there. I'm completely opposed to the practice though. The potash is EXTREMELY alkaline. Great for killing tiny creatures, sure. But I wouldn't want to breath it, get it in my eyes or even get it on my skin. So there's no way I'm letting any near my chickens. Plain old dirt works just fine for us.

Many wood ash users report apparently perfectly healthy and happy chickens, so... :idunno

Maybe you could offer two trays; identical except one has wood ash and the other doesn't and see if the chicks show a preference?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  6. usmcpilot06

usmcpilot06 Chirping

Mar 21, 2018
    I only use a cup or two in the mix, it's nit that much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: