Dust baths and grit for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rosinsk1772, Mar 10, 2014.

1. rosinsk1772

rosinsk1772 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Tiverton, RI
    I have 6 three week old chicks. I am new to raising chickens. I only have been giving them chick food, but should should I be also giving grit at this age? Also, can I hold off adding a dust bath until I put them in the coop?

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

They don't technically need grit until they start eating anything besides their chick starter. And yes, they can wait until they go to their coop for a dust bath, although they'll enjoy one very much any time now! Mine are always very enthusiastically dust bathing in their shavings in the brooder early on and go crazy when they first hit the dirt outside when they are about 3 weeks old.

3. rosinsk1772

Mar 4, 2014
    Tiverton, RI
    So with the outside temp right now somedays hitting 55 mine are three weeks old is it alright to bring them outside?

4. cafarmgirl

I probably would not at those temps. Where I live it's usually warm when I raise chicks in the late spring or fall and I'll take them outside at that age for short periods of time on warm, sunny days only.

5. rosinsk1772

Mar 4, 2014
    Tiverton, RI
    As for the dust bath should it go in the coop under the coop or outside? Also how often does it need to be changed

6. cafarmgirl

Mine just make their own dust baths in their run and in my barn, I've never had to provide anything for bathing other then access to the outdoors. But if you live someplace that is covered in snow much of the winter you might provide them a dust bath someplace where it will stay dry and just refill as needed.

7. Aacre

Aacre Chillin' With My Peeps

My 6 chicks are 2 weeks old and I have taken them outside for about an hour at a time when the weather has been decent (about 55-60 degrees). They love it, and I think it's good to introduce them to the outdoors early so that they can familiarize themselves with it. It won't be so foreign later on, when they HAVE to stay outside in a coop. They don't do much except scratch a little at the grass and pick at little twigs. [​IMG] Also, at a week old, I introduced some clean play sand so that they could either use it as grit or use it for a dust bath. They'll know what to do with it whenever the time comes.

8. rosinsk1772

Mar 4, 2014
    Tiverton, RI
    Being new at this again... When I go to bring the chicks outside for the first time can I just let them out on the yard or will they take off? I picture my family running around trying to catch chickens while the neighbors laugh

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Your picture is pretty accurate! LOL I put a few of my really well feathered ladies out today (3 weeks old) and they loved it....I rigged up some fencing in a circle so they couldn't escape and put them in the sunshine. When it came to time to bring them in they had other ideas! The fenced in area wasn't all that big, but with their new-found wings and "long hop" skills it took me a little while to round them up! I must have looked pretty funny - and I told my husband if he DARED post the pictures he took on Facebook he'd be eating McDonald's for a month!

1 person likes this.
  10. Aacre

Aacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, I guess everyone has different experiences! [​IMG] My little six pack stay pretty close to one another and pretty close to me. I did hatch these out myself, so they have imprinted on me as being their mama figure (kind of sort of). I've even gone clear across the yard and didn't get them to run off. When they feel like it, they will follow me closely, so I have to be careful not to step on them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by