Dust baths for winter.. couple questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Going Quackers, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    The girls have a dirt run they go in daily so they have basically made their own all over the place.. who knew chickens could rival dogs with digging holes? LOL

Anyhow, should i build them one for the coop? i am thinking winter here.. i hear it's still coming [​IMG] so the dirt will become frozen and therefore they won't have the option, the coop is plenty big enough, it would hold a half dozen at least birds but we only have 4.

Just something i thought about as were dropping to single digits at night now.[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What do you have for the floor of your coop? I just have a layer of packed gravel with lots of shavings on top and they use the shavings. If you have a solid floor it would probably be good to have something for them, just a simple box with dirt, sand or ashes works well.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Wood with shavings, it's an elevated coop.

4. lacrego

lacrego Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2012
    Montana
    I just put together a dust bath for my chickens. I used a 15 gallon tupperware tote thingy (without a lid of course), dusty/sandy dirt from their favorite spot and wood ash. Just put it out there today for them I figured the taller sides would help with keeping most of the stuff inside, and I know they can get in and out of one of those, they play in those things all the time looking for stuff. We just moved so we have them all over the place!

5. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    We keep ours in a portable run in the back yard and it's moved about every 3 or 4 days, so they're always on grass. Once they started digging holes, we realized (duh) they needed to dust bathe! We also got a rubbermaid tote..about 10 inches tall and filled it about half full of soil and peat moss with a little DE sprinkled in it...they LOVE it! When it gets too poopy, we dump it in the compost and start over. It works great!

6. Banner Ridge Chick

Banner Ridge Chick Out Of The Brooder

I used a 55 gallon plastic barrel on its side beside the coop for the past 2 winters and they love it. Just put dirt, sand, wood ashes, DE dirt in it, they use it year around. Barrel is large enough hold lots of dusting material. I put a piece of board in front to hold the material in barrel.

7. Ullie

Ullie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    I love this idea! Do you have any photos?

Thanks

8. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    That's a great idea! Plus with the side of the barrel as a roof, it would keep the wet out. Our girls are in a portable coop/run that gets moved every 3 or 4 days so the grass doesn't get totally trashed. We filled a shorter rubbermaid tote with dirt, peat, sand and a little DE. They love it but if we forget to put the lid on at night, it gets soaked and becomes a mud bath instead of a dust bath. A 55 gal barrel would be too big for our purposes, but...I'm thinking we could try something smaller in order to have the added benefit of a roof.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by