1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Dust baths, pure dirt?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cake lady hen lover, Aug 18, 2018.

1. cake lady hen lover

cake lady hen lover In the Brooder

Aug 17, 2018
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Inside my pen gets quite poopy as the ground is covered with chicken wire, and then a layer of sand for drainage. I was thinking on the days I don't let them out to roam the woods (have to be here to watch for fox) can I put a cat litter box of dirt in their pen for dust baths? Should I add sand or any other material for a healthier, more effective bath? Is the purpose of the dust bath to get rid of mites?

Aliamelody likes this.
  2. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Feather & Fur Whisperer Premium Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I use a baby pool filled with construction grade sand, not play sand. My flock loves it!!!!
    If you don’t have sand, then topsoil or just plain dirt would work. A kitty litter pan may be too small......good luck and have FUN with your flock!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  3. Thechickentrainer1999

Thechickentrainer1999 Chirping

Jul 30, 2018
    North Carolina
    Good question. I plan on making a dirt box as well for my new coop. I plan on getting some boards and screwing them together and filling it up with fresh clean dirt. The only problem I am having is figuring out where to get the dirt.

Aliamelody likes this.
  4. HenHouse4Life

HenHouse4Life Songster Premium Member

Mar 22, 2016
    Great Lakes State
    Ash, from a woodstove, bonfire etc..... natural bug repellent as well (including lice/mites)

5. Thechickentrainer1999

Thechickentrainer1999 Chirping

Jul 30, 2018
    North Carolina
    Make sure that they're not cedar ashes right? Or is that okay since they're burned?

Aliamelody likes this.
  6. Clousic Chicks

Clousic Chicks Chirping

May 20, 2015
    Spokane, Washington
    Ours have always found a place in our run that they turn in to their "bathing" area. Usually, it's right under the ramp into the coop, but also under the coop...for some reason they don't poop as much there! I've tried the sand, setting up a special place, etc., and it's never worked...they make their own way. I'm just always thankful that they actually take a bath!

Aliamelody and OhZark Biddies like this.
  7. OhZark Biddies

OhZark Biddies Crowing

Apr 13, 2018
    south central Missouri
    My Coop
    I buy a large bag of peat moss / sphagnum for $7 and use that for the dust bath, because it's hard to come by "dirt" at my house... too many rocks. I add ash from the grill from time to time as well.

But to your question, "pure dirt" will be fine.

Aliamelody likes this.
  8. OhZark Biddies

OhZark Biddies Crowing

Apr 13, 2018
    south central Missouri
    My Coop
    it's the off gassing from the cedar chips that is the issue, often as a result of decaying... so burned cedar would be fine, as the chemical compounds that can cause respiratory problems for chickens would be broken down in the process of burning

Aliamelody and TomZilla43 like this.
  9. HenHouse4Life

HenHouse4Life Songster Premium Member

Mar 22, 2016
    Great Lakes State
    I've never used cedar so I can't answer that and be honest about, sorry.

Aliamelody likes this.
  10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road 5 Years

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    My understanding is that charcoal briquettes have a lot of chemical additives that would not be healthy for chickens. If you are burning wood in your grill, that ash would be acceptable, but I'm also guessing that any ash from a grill would be quite greasy. (might give the chooks a complex if they come out of the dust bath smelling like BBQ chicken!)

To OP: Is your run a walk in style? If so, have you considered converting to deep litter? My birds dust bathe in the DL on all but the wettest days.

Aliamelody and OhZark Biddies like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: