Dust baths?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by scrapmom5, Apr 24, 2008.

1. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    What is a dust bath? I have seen several peeps talk about that and DE and deep litter something. (Suddenly feeling overwhelmed) Why and when and what do I need to do?????[​IMG]

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Chickens love to take dustbaths! I have read about people putting play sand in a small swimming pool and putting it in the run for the chickens. When I get my run finished, I plan on purchasing a small pool and mixing DE (food grade diatomaceous earth) and sand together for the chickens to roll in. The DE will help keep the mites and lice away.

Don't get overwhelmed! Just keep reading! You'll be an expert in no time. [​IMG] If not, you always know where to come to have your questions answered! I can always find someone on here that can help me out.

By the way, [​IMG]

3. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    My hens take one every day. It's when they they take a bath in dirt to help keep mites and other bugs off. When you let your chicks out find a real dry dusty spot and they will take a dust bath. DE is ground up rock that kills bugs. If you mix it in with there feed it will kill worms too.

Welcome to byc! [​IMG]

4. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    The DE will help keep the mites and lice away.

Do we have mite and lice issues in Utah or is this an every state issue? Where do the worms come from?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by