Dust baths?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Country Grits, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Country Grits

Country Grits New Egg

Mar 19, 2012
    How old do my babies need to be before I give them a dusting area?? We have just moved them to their "Big Hause" and will be letting them into their outdoor run, and free ranging as soon as the area is ready... they are 4 weeks now......
    Thanks Much!!
    Country Grits
    Texas

2. SelfSufficient

SelfSufficient Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2012
    San Marcos, Tx
    Mine are six weeks old - have been in the big house a little over a week. I busted them dust bathing in he brooder - peat moss (I will never recommend PM cause it is messy) several weeks ago. Just this past week they were dust bathing in the wood shavings in the coop - so I figured they were really ready. I took a big terra cotta saucer and filled it with sand from our sand box and DE and set it in the coop. Oh my what a show. I'm gonna say, based on my experience you would be okay to add one now.

3. Country Grits

Country Grits New Egg

Mar 19, 2012
    Thank you.. I have seen mine do the same,, and that was my same thought... to use a saucer... although mine may think it is their treat dish at first.. Ha... Have you ever used wood ash??

4. SelfSufficient

SelfSufficient Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2012
    San Marcos, Tx
    I haven't used it (yet) but ive heard it's okay and I've got plenty so it's in my plans to use once the run is done. :D

Yes, mine have used it as treats, too. But hey, they need the grit and since it came from the sand box it probably has some good treats buried within. I do feel bad, though when the bathers are getting stomped by the treat seekers. :lol:

5. doggielove

doggielove Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    Maine
    What is DE? Thanks.

6. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Heck they can dust bath at one week. Put a plastic tray in with regular dirt, wood shavings and some wood ash with some charcoal in it. Left it in for only an hour the first time. They picked at it a little then got down to business. When I took it out the white rocks where a gray-brown.

7. smithfam0908

smithfam0908 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2012
    Sunny Beautiful NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by