Dust Baths

Then what can I use as a dust bath that is safe for the 3 week old chicks?

I don't want to bring dirt into the brooder, I was thinking of a litter box type set up with something 'clean' that I can let them scuff around in and take it back out to give them more room to lounge around. I just need to know what type of "dust" to get.

David,

I must disagree, sharp sand is not playsand. Playsand is the softest of the grades you can buy. Sharp sand is ungraded and sometimes includes larger pieces.(think free grit)

That said, you can find multiple sources defending using any number of materials for a dust bath. My hens prefer peat moss, but they also love builder's sand, playsand, dirt, a pile of oyster shell from a ripped bag and if they have to stay locked up cause of bad weather the pine shaving.

I have even watched them air-bathe at the fair in a wire cage with no bedding.

So you may use what ever you have handy and they will adapt.
I wouldn't worry too much over finding the perfect dust.

Last edited:
I have used playsand and the sand out of tubesand. I have also used the sand/gravel from our creek. Yeah free grit.

Thanks!

I know you can sometimes get playsand at Walmart for 50% off when the bag rips open and some gets spilled.

I just want my chickens happy.
big_smile.png

If you're asking questions about what to provide them for dustbathing, I'm sure your chickens are happy!
big_smile.png

Let them outside a couple of hours a day!

You can build a little outdoor "brooder" where they can get to the grass and dirt and stuff.

Quote:
Thanks for that clarification. Its always good to get it straight. I wont make the same mistake.
I find it interesting that we make this big to-do over dustbathing
(and everything else, for that matter) when the chickens dont really care and will take it up whereever they find something that suits them.

Quote:
Thanks for that clarification. Its always good to get it straight. I wont make the same mistake.
I find it interesting that we make this big to-do over dustbathing
(and everything else, for that matter) when the chickens dont really care and will take it up whereever they find something that suits them.

You are probably right, they don't care. It just looks so uncomfortable for them scrunching around in the pine shavings.

Back
Top Bottom