1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dust Baths

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Disa, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Disa

Disa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2013
    So I've got these 6 hens. 3 of which are laying regularly and I suspect the others will start up pretty soon too. The coop and run is as predator proof as possible and I think I've got a pretty good handle on the watering and feeding. All in all...I'm pretty pleased with things.

However, after purusing the forums, I think I need to figure out a way to give the girls a way to dust bathe and I'm not sure of the best way to go about it. The coop and run is portable and gets moved around every couple of weeks so a natural dust bathing place isn't going to happen. Besides, the bottom of the 4'x9' run is enclosed with wire.

How necessary is the dust bath and how would I go about providing one in a completely enclosed portable coop and run?

Thanks!

2. Disa

Disa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2013
    And by the way....am I the only one that gets all "itchy" while reading these pests and parasites threads?

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    A small tray or box on the order of a cat litter box filled with sand, wood ash, diatomaceous earth, most anything dry and powdery should do. Sand and a mix is likely the best.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by