Dust Boxes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BJ, Jan 21, 2008.

1. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Does anyone use a "dust box"...especially in smaller coops and confined areas over winter? I haven't been letting my bantams out into the cold and they are confined mostly to a 5 x 5 insulated, heat-lamp heated coop. Should I put a dish pan or something in there filled with DE? Does anyone else do anything like this? What about out in the run? Any ideas for dust boxes or dusting areas? What do you use and how is it "constructed"?

Thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated!!!

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Some folks use cat boxes....

My coop and run have dirt floors - so the girls go for it whenever they get the idea to take a bath....
    I would not FILL with DE - perhaps a cup of DE mixed in with playsand.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I wanted to do that-they sell those big tubes of sand for putting in the back of your truck for traction in the winter but i dont know if that sand is safe for the chickens. I sure would like to know where to get something "safe" dirt/sand for dust bathes in the winter. My city gives out a bucket of sand per household everytime it snows but again i dont know if it is safe. Cat litter boxes is a great idea. Now what to put in it??????????[​IMG]

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I was just thinking.(oh-oh) Our city has a place where they chop up wood and people can use it for mulching their gardens, and it is not treated like the stuff in the store. So wood chips/mulch may work but probably not too great. Any other ideas?

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    "Play sand" that you get from a hardware store or Home Depot. It comes in a bag small enough to tote.

6. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    I used a paper box lid and mixed ashes from our wood stove and potting soil with just a smig of pine shaving for the pair of fizzles I have in the basement and they LOVE IT!!
    I've had it down there for a couple of months and I haven't seen any problems..... [​IMG]

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Oh GREAT!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    :Dmy chickens after dustbath installed

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG]

10. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I was going to say "playground sand" you can get it at most any hardware store. It is already washed (cleaned) it should be fine. I also use it with my bearded dragon and haven't had any problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by