Dust...Dust EVERYWHERE!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BarkerChickens, Apr 16, 2009.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    We live in the desert, so dust is a given here. Plus, it has been very windy lately...up to 70 mph gusts. But, the brooder room is not the typical dust we see elsewhere in the house! The wood chips are "dust-free", which I think is bologne. The room has fine dust EVERYWHERE! It even makes one of my chicks sneeze (and me!)! The dust is a very fine, whitish gray and is caked on EVERYTHING! The chicks are only 3 weeks old and the room looks like it hasn't been dusted in years! What is causing it? The not-so-dust-free "dust-free" litter? Hoe do ya'll deal with it without irritating the chicks respiratory systems?

2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Those cute little baby chicks is the cause. They are some dusty creatures.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's chick dander. They loose their fuzz and they grow feathers. MAJOR DUST.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's part of having chicks. Some of it comes from the chicks and some from the bedding, no matter how high the quality of the shavings.
    Yet another reason why I won't brood chicks in the house. [​IMG]

5. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    It just makes me smile, when I hear of others discovering the wonderous world of raising baby chicks![​IMG] dusty little critters, ain't they?[​IMG]

6. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I also say it's the chicks. I have dust like no other time. It is also dusty in my area. I'm sure not like the desert but its dry here too. But since I've been raising chicks the past few months the dust has more than tripled. I tried to keep it under control the first few weeks but have since given up. I will dust from time to time. I change the brooder everyday to keep the odor down and use cedar chips. I plan to move thiem to another room soon so my living room isn't so dusty. I want them to be used to us being around is why I chose the living room. We don't get much company so it doesnt' really bother me that they're in here. They're more of a conversational piece than a neusance. We are used to the chiring aleady and they watch tv.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Just FYI - the aromatic oils in cedar are really bad for chicks. They can lead to respiratory issues. Pine shavings are a better choice.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  8. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    It's the chicks?!?! Wow...I'd have never guessed! We've had chicks before, but not 49 at once! I never noticed the dust before since 6 chicks can't do much damage. Someone needs to invent chick vacuums where we can stick the suction end on the there little cute bodies and "dust" them off! [​IMG] We have 3 large dogs and 1 cat in the house and there is NOTHING compared to these cute little buggers!

9. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    yes, its horrible but sooooo worth it! [​IMG]

10. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:Couldn't have said it any better! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by