Dust everywhere! and a couple other questions.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mcharles13, May 26, 2010.

1. mcharles13

mcharles13 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Ok this is driving me insane.

My babies are almost 4 weeks. I put them in a bigger brooder with plenty of room and perches. My base is pine shavings. Last weekend i went out in my garden and and brought in a box of dirt for them to dust bathe and have fun in.
    All was well for a few days but now everything in my basement is covered in a tan colored dust. I can't figure out where this stuff is coming from. I didn't give them dust, i gave them shavings and regular dirt (nice dark healthy dirt). What can i do to keep the dust down?

Also on a different note, since putting the dirt in there, they are extremely quiet. They hardly peep or talk at all anymore. They are all just sitting still and just look at me as i walk about. Also they are eating less now.

,mike

2. Foleys

Foleys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Why do you have them in the basement? I am new so just wondering.

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

the dust as far as I can tell is from the pin feather casing, were the new feathers are coming in and getting 'opened' the shell or case becomes dust. Mine did this two at the same 4-6 weeks and it gets worse before it gets better- mine moved outside at 5 weeks... its FL its plenty- maybe too hot.

4. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    My best advice is keep a shop vac handy if you have one.Or just and old vacum with hose attachment.I raised all of my chicks in my basement starting in dec.I still have huge dust web's in the rafters in half of the basement.Im still behind on spring cleaning [​IMG].Chick's and chickens are just naturaly dusty and the dust and web's will accumulate in their coop as well.I have never put a dust bath in brooder's.Mine have alway's done just fine until they graduated to coop's and outside.I don't see how the dirt bath would hurt them, but you are still going to get the dust even if you remove it.

5. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

The dust from shavings drove me crazy but it was light in color, not brown. Do you think the chicks are eating the dirt, thus eating less food? Don't know what your coop situation or your climate, but perhaps it's time to get the girls out to and inside coor or replace the dirt with fresh shavings. Good luck! [​IMG]

6. Backyard_Chicken_rancher

Backyard_Chicken_rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

This is caused from the pin feathers and the Pine shavings belive me the pine shavings can kick up some dust after being walked on for a few days.
    What's the Temps there they should be able to be moved outside by now if it is warm enough where you live I put all my birds outside by the age of 4 weeks Of course I do live in the great state of Texas so it is rather warm here early on.

7. mcharles13

Apr 28, 2010
    Not ready to put them outside yet. Still building their real coop.

Also my wife (preggo) has bad allergies and while she loves the chicks i dont want to induce a dust sneezing fit.

When we had them upstairs the noise while trying to sleep was annoying and the smell was bad. The day i got pine shavings i put them in the basement. The pine shavings solved the smell and the basement solved the noise.

8. mcharles13

Apr 28, 2010
    Thanks guys. I'll hasten the coop building outside and get them to where they'll be happier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by