Dust holes

cutchens

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 13, 2012
Slapout, Alabama
How do your chickens lay in the areas they burrough out for dusting? Do they just sit like they are gonna lay an egg or do they kind of waller( highly scientific description) around in it, laying on their sides? There is nothing wrong with this girl, she will jump right up when called or offered a snack. I just have never seen a chicken ladylike this before. I have been watching her do it for an hour is now. Very funny.

How do your chickens lay in the areas they burrough out for dusting? Do they just sit like they are gonna lay an egg or do they kind of waller( highly scientific description) around in it, laying on their sides? There is nothing wrong with this girl, she will jump right up when called or offered a snack. I just have never seen a chicken ladylike this before. I have been watching her do it for an hour is now. Very funny.

Totally normal, she is pushing the dust under her feathers and against her skin. This dust bathing helps remove and deter lice, mites, etc. and of course looks wildly silly :) enjoy!

I knew it was normal to make the holes and dust themselves it just kind of freaked me out to see her laying almost on her side, but then when she jumped up and came running for her treats I figured she was fine. Thanks for the confirmation.

No problem, watch out for sunbathing too if you haven't seen that it can be a bit freaky. They basically look like they are dead lying on their sides. Scares the heck out of them when you come running to see if they are ok.

I've decided my chickens should go into the excavating business. They make huge dust pits and lay around in them with their wings spread and legs sprawled out to the side. But on a nice sunny day that's what I feel like doing too :)

Back
Top Bottom