Dust Mites in the chicken coop...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenluv, Jun 28, 2010.

1. chickenluv

chickenluv Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Sterling IL
    I've been putting up a few new roosts, and I was looking closely at the older roosts and nests, (they're made out of wood) and I can see these itty bitty white bugs crawling around. [​IMG] My (1-6yrs old) hens also have quite scaly legs, (which I think are caused by the mites, but I don't know for sure [​IMG] ) and I've seen them pecking at their legs as well, but they don't seem to be in pain at all. Do you think these are dust mites? If so, what's the best way to get rid of them? I was thinking of using this...

or this

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/livestock-fly-control/livestock-dust/y-tex-garden-and-poultry-insect-control-dust-2-lbs-shaker-can-2204294

Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Can you post pics? The legs might have scaley leg mites, and should be treated. As should the coop.

Here's a link with some info about mites & lice.

The poultry dust is commonly used to treat parasites, and most people here report good results.

Good luck

Imp

3. cota05

cota05 New Egg

Oct 20, 2009
    alabama
    if you can find some use 7 dust to sprinkle them down good, there is also a spray you can get called adams flea and tick killer, that works great, that is what most of the bird exhibitors use in this area. good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by