Dust on light bulbs!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by elliemb, Feb 20, 2008.

1. elliemb

elliemb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    Just a reminder to keep light bulbs in the coop dust free! I had one of my heat lamps shut off for several days and then with this cold snap plugged it back in. I was surprised at how much dust collects and it had a "just turned the electric heat on" smell to it. My inlaws lost a coop of chickens many years ago and they think dust build up was the culprit! It will be nice when spring comes and I can give the whole building a good cleaning! Dusty little critters![​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Just the other day I was thinking about posting on this. I had a frozen waterer that I put the heat lamp on and I was thinking the dust covered bulbs in a barn could be potential fire hazzards.

Thanks for the reminder!

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Definately something to think about. And heck....there are plenty "feather dusters" close by. Just grab a hen, and shake her booty over the bulb.......just let the bulb cool first! LOL

4. steveo

steveo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Poland, Maine
    I was having that same smell the other day and it took me a while to figure out that it was the dust on the bulb

5. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG]

Well it made me laugh anyway. [​IMG]

6. elliemb

elliemb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    Lol justusnak....it is the least they could do in the clean up department!! I will see if there is a volunteer in the morning! Where does all that bloomin dust come from anyway? Straw bales? Poop?

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG]

THe dust comes from the chickens themselves.... I had to put my temp sensor thingie in a zip lock to protect from all that dust....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by