1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Dust on light bulbs!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by elliemb, Feb 20, 2008.

1. elliemb

elliemb In the Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    Just a reminder to keep light bulbs in the coop dust free! I had one of my heat lamps shut off for several days and then with this cold snap plugged it back in. I was surprised at how much dust collects and it had a "just turned the electric heat on" smell to it. My inlaws lost a coop of chickens many years ago and they think dust build up was the culprit! It will be nice when spring comes and I can give the whole building a good cleaning! Dusty little critters![​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Just the other day I was thinking about posting on this. I had a frozen waterer that I put the heat lamp on and I was thinking the dust covered bulbs in a barn could be potential fire hazzards.

Thanks for the reminder!

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Definately something to think about. And heck....there are plenty "feather dusters" close by. Just grab a hen, and shake her booty over the bulb.......just let the bulb cool first! LOL

4. steveo

steveo Songster

Dec 9, 2007
    Poland, Maine
    I was having that same smell the other day and it took me a while to figure out that it was the dust on the bulb

5. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG]

Well it made me laugh anyway. [​IMG]

6. elliemb

elliemb In the Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    Lol justusnak....it is the least they could do in the clean up department!! I will see if there is a volunteer in the morning! Where does all that bloomin dust come from anyway? Straw bales? Poop?

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG]

THe dust comes from the chickens themselves.... I had to put my temp sensor thingie in a zip lock to protect from all that dust....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: