1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dust or Dirt Bathing 2 month old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joetta, Oct 17, 2012.

1. joetta

joetta Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2012
    Howdy all. My 2 month old chicks love to dirt bathe. All six were rolling around in the dirt for about 20 minutes, right outside of the run, under Momma's watchful eye and were having a blast. All but one walked back into the run, I picked up the sixth one and put her back into the run area and she just sank into the hay and laid there. She fluffed her feathers and finally perked up when I put a few kernels of soft corn into the run. My question is: when they do this, does it put them into such a relaxed stage that they almost seem weak in the legs?

2. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Their feathers are probably full of dirt/sand. My chicks have emerged from a dust bath to waddle about like ducks on the occasion. After a good feather fluffing to eliminate the dirt from the wings, they stand up and continue on as usual. -first time I witnessed a chick that was unable to stand after dust bathing, it scared me to death! Yours sounds perfectly normal.

3. joetta

joetta Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2012
    Thanks so much for your reply. I just got a little nervous when it looked like she could not walk. I was thinking maybe she pulled a muscle or got a cramp in one of her legs. I don't know, new, anxious chickie mom. Call me crazy! :) All six are up and about and fine as dandy this beautiful, sunny South Florida day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by