1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dustbath, woodfire pit, perfect?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 6chickens in St. Charles, Sep 24, 2011.

1. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Did somebody once say that wood ash is good for dustbathing? I saw bunch of these at Cantigny park (Illinois) during a revolutionary war reenactment festival. I kept thinking, "I need to do this" because it seems PERFECT for chicken dustbathing after the fire is out!
    [​IMG]
    Dig a nice pit in the ground, build a wood fire, cook all day then stir up those ashes for the girls in a day or two; if the sod is rolled up, it will happily roll back over if some compost is mixed into the pit. then, make new pits as the chickens (and the outdoor cook) desire! Oh yes I love this.

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    That photo makes me think of chicken and dumplings in a Dutch oven.... Mmmmmmmmmmm [​IMG]

3. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:Doesn't that require a good, looooong braise? Over a slooow fire? Oh gosh that could take the whole beautiful outside daaaaay........... [​IMG] might I be jealous of pioneer women?

Just a smidge? jealous?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by