Dusting baby chicks/bathing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 77horses, Nov 30, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Hi! I just dusted our two baby chicks yesterday(11/29/08) with ProZap Garden/Poultry Dust. Put it around the vent, under wings, and where the nits were. The chicks are about 5-6 weeks old now. My dad bought this *Johnson's Tear-Free Baby Shampoo for the baby chicks, after hearing that you can wash chickens with baby shampoo. So, my question is, is it OK to give our two chicks a bath with the shampoo to rid them of the leftover dust and wash away some of the lice, nits, and dead lice? Or should we wait another day or two before washing them?

Oh and is it OK to blow dry the chicks with a hair dryer, instead of just drying them with a towel?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Hey 77 -

I wouldn't wash them yet, you want to give the powder time to work and if you wash now I would think you would be washing it all away. I would re dust them in about 7-10 days to get the next cycle of bugs. Then wait a while till you wash (really dont think you need to)

And yes its ok to blow dry a chicken, do it on low and be sure not to burn them.

Good luck !!

3. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Thanks! [​IMG]

4. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    BTW your bator looks good !! How much longer do you have to wait till you can hatch some ??

5. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Thanks! we(dad and siblings) are waiting until spring before we start hatching. [​IMG] Probably in like March-April or whenever it gets warm outside and the snow melts. But who knows what will happen from now to then. [​IMG]
    It's gonna be soooo hard to wait alll winter!!!! [​IMG] And all those fuzzy butt pics and people hatching right now are making it harder! LOL [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] lol

6. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    I know what you mean, every once in a while I get the erge to use the bator (thank god I put it away for winter)

Everytime I see the title "chicks hatching" "chicks piping" I'm like ohhh come on cant I just do a few. Hubby keeps reminding me the baby will be here soon (like I dont know that, im the one who gained 30 pounds and looks huge) so I cant hatch any cause I wont have the time, I know he's right...... BUT...... DARN !!!!!

Hope you have good luck this spring with babies, what kind will they be ??

7. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Thanks!
    Planning on:

RIRXRed Star

OR

Buff OrpingtonXSplash Cochin(if buff girls are laying by then and if roo is doing his job) [​IMG]

Will be interesting to see what the mutt chicks look like! [​IMG]

And we may order some chicks? not sure yet. We will see! [​IMG]

(Oh and congrats again on the baby coming!) [​IMG]

8. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Most eggs will be from our chickens, unless we order some. [​IMG]

9. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    If you need any in the spring let me know, I got BR's and silkies

10. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    oh thanks! and if you need some eggs from us for hatching, let me know! Hopefully we will have some in Spring. [​IMG]

So we won't wash the chicks I guess. Like you said, swtangle, we will wait til like 7-10 days after putting dust on, then we will do it again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by