Dusting Bathing Call

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by centrarchid, Oct 10, 2015.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have observed chickens dust bath many times. I am beginning to suspect they produce a call not unlike tid bitting that indicates a good location for dust bathing is found. Then all birds in the group pile in. Finder need not be the highest ranking bird. In this instance the caller is a juvenile pullet calling siblings and mother to good location. They may even produce calls indicating they are looking for a location to dust batch.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Interesting observation. I have never noticed my hens vocalizing during sand baths even when I am right next to them, but that others come close and peck, scratch and explore what the first bather turns up and almost as contagious as a human yawn, they join in and have group sand baths.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Some of the calls I here may be specific to dust bating locations, interest in food, and interest in water. They clearly go through bouts where vocalizations increase when they want some something. My free-range birds do not have resources all in one location. They have to go sometimes 100 yards from a loafing area to where they get water and lesser distances to preferred foraging areas and feeding station. That sets stages for hearing calls. Much of the movement related behaviors are clearly driven by needs of chicks and juveniles.

1 person likes this.
  4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Likely that's why I have not heard the "come on great dirt bath" vocalization. Mine live on sand and they can sand bathe everywhere.

Chicken behavior is fascinating. But never thought about the difference in those confined and those free range. Thanks for your thread.

5. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas

Great observation! I wonder if that's what I'm hearing with mine; it is unqiue to dust bathing for mine & does sound a little like tidbitting, just softer. It's accompanied by a sort of soft clicking, among other sounds not easily described. It just sounds like pure joy.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  6. AuntNomi

AuntNomi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!
    I have 2 that will chatter a little when they dust bath, and sometimes some of the others will join them. Then it gets kinda quiet! But mine like the darkest dirt they can find.

7. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Mine do this too. When I have treats or grass , they talk to me lol. My roo will sometimes put out an alarm sound and all the hens will run under the deck. I'm guessing he sees or hears a hawk or some other predator. He has saved one of my hens from a hawk and he's always looking around and very aware of his surroundings. They are fun to watch and learn there behaviors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by