Dusting bathing chicken, do they look like they are hurt?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BethieofVA, Aug 20, 2010.

1. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I just went out to the run where one of my birds was laying in a large wallowed out hole, slooooowly rolling around. I have never seen them bath quite like this. She would did more with her claws, then roll over almost completely on her back, so easy and slow like. I finally picked her up because I was concerned something may be wrong. I sat her up, she slowly sank back down. I picked her up again, moved her away from the hole, she shook and took off. I was surprised how much sand flew off her. Is this normal? Is this how they do it? I remember when they were chicks they would stick out one wing and fall over, it was kinda the same, but a grown up version.

She seems okay. I was afraid that maybe the head hen had injured her.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

No, she's fine. It may look like she's had a seizure, but she was just lolling about in the sheer pleasure of dust bathing. It IS very freaky looking.

3. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    yep...that was a dirt bath. mine do it all the time.

4. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG] thats how they do it! Just like pigs rolling the mud.

5. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Sounds like a regular dust bath!!

First time I saw my chicks do it, I freaked [​IMG] but upon closer inspection, just a healthy vibrant chick, bathing [​IMG]

Now I LOVE watching em dust bathe, and when they purr while bathing is just too cute [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Oh my gosh, do I feel better now. I was so scared something was wrong. She seemed catatonic at first. I didn't realize I had interrupted her big dust bath O! [​IMG]

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

yep -- I nearly flipped when I saw the first actual dust bath being performed with obvious delight by the adult birds, and when I had some young chicks in the brooder still had to do a double-take when I saw baby chicks dustbathing in the shavings for the first time. I know how my husband felt when he rushed to the door and said, "your chicks are sick! I think they're dying"... thankfully they weren't. [​IMG] It is very disconcerting the first time, and perfectly delightful every subsequent time! [​IMG]

8. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Last winter, when I let mine out to free range, they would head for under my DH's shop. One day I thought his shop was on fire - the dust was boiling out from under it. Then the crazy hens slowly strolled out and started to scratch for food.

9. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    First time I saw my group of chickens dust bathing in the sun (saw them through the bedroom window)- I thought they were all dead and a dog had gotten into the yard and killed them all. They were sprawled this way and that legs up, wings out- it was horrible. I ran out there, my heart in my throat- rushed into the yard preparing mentally for disaster, and they all got up and ran away from me- probably because I ran up so fast & swooped down on them. I stood there like an idiot for a few minutes, then walked back in laughing.

10. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    That explain's it!!! [​IMG]

My dd told me about a week ago that one of our pullets would squat down then lay on her side with one wing up and one leg up and be really still then get up and do it again - all in the sun. I have seen them dust bathe in the dirt -squat down and shake the feathers around, dusting themselves. But I have not seen this behavior (still haven't seen it). None of the other ones have done it that I know. She looks very healthy, in fact is the alpha hen. So I guess this explained it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by