Dusting box

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sunnydee, Aug 8, 2008.

1. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    I just put in a dusting box in my girls coop..it is white sand mixed with Food Grade DE....it has been raining here for over a week and I figured that would give them something to do. Well...I think they are cats! They are leaving their little gold mines in it! ARGH...silly silly chicks.

2. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    It took my two and a half week old chicks a day or so to figure out the dust bath. Before that, they thought it was something to eat.

3. annaserv

annaserv Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    northern Wisconsin
    I put a plastic plant tray in for mine and they were dusting themselves at just a few weeks old. They finally started to destroy it this past week (and sort of out grew it) and I just made a larger wood frame that sits on the floor and filled that with sand. I figure I can clean up all the kicked out sand and take out their sand box when they start going outside, maybe at the end of the month. But they have just too much fun in there right now.

I have some young Cochin girls and boy can those fluffy feet kick the sand around.

4. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Mine still dont know what it is for. They walk in it and scratch around, but I have yet to see anyone dusting themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by