1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dusting for Lice/Mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicks Galore3, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I got some Permethrin poultry dust tonight. I have the dust in one hand a chicken in the other...Thinking how in the world am I supposed to do this?!?!?! How much do I need to use, and WHERE do I put it? Thanks. :)

2. yolkoroo

yolkoroo Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    There are three ways to do it that I know of:

1) place dust in toe-end of stockings. gently hold upside doewn chicken by feet, gently tap dust-filled around entirety of bird- avoid eyes and nose of bird.

2) place dust in grocery bag, bring grocery bag around hen up to their neck as you hold them,

3. yolkoroo

yolkoroo Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    2) con't: and gently massage bag, as you pat bag to disperse dust around the chicken...DO NOT COVER CHICKEN'S HEAD AT ALL WITH BAG.

THere are videos on you tube to demonstrate...story I accidentally hit submit when my keyboard disappeared. I will see if I can locate videos...I think I found them searching treating chicken mites on YouTube.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by