Dusting for Mites, Chicken Vaccinations- Newbie. Help please!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TexasChickenhopeful, Jul 12, 2011.

1. TexasChickenhopeful

TexasChickenhopeful New Egg

Mar 23, 2011
    My first foray into the world of chicken keeping: I have three lovely 2.5 month old Silkies. Got them as few day old chicks from a breeder in our area who breeds for show. No plans to show on our end, just pets. We recently got their coop built, and moved them outdoors. They're cooped up all night, during the day, let out for a few hours per day when I'm out working in the yard. My questions: Dusting for mites/lice? Dusting the chickens? Dusting the coop? With what? I've read conflicting things about Sevin Dust on the BYC forums, and not sure A.) At what age to begin using. B.) to use on them directly, or only in their coop, or both? C.) How often? D.) If there's a less toxic alternative that is as effective - DE perhaps?. E.) If I should even be using it, or something else on them/their coop in the first place. F.) If the breed of chicken makes any difference with regard to mites, and treating for them. In that the Silkies are more furry than feather-y, wondering if this makes any difference? Yup, I'm new here. We're in Central Texas by the way. Haven't seen a mosquito yet this year, droughts been so bad.

Next on the list: Vaccinations. To vaccinate? What for? When? I saw Marek's disease discussed on another thread, but I'm sure that's not the only one. And, where? If you vaccinate, please tell me what you vaccinate for, at what age, and if you go to a veterinarian for vaccs, or DIY.

Last, and OT, how do I upload pictures onto a thread? I see the Img button up top, but when I click it, it just inserts (img)(img), was hoping it would give me an upload picture file search or something so I could upload pics of the three (fingers crossed) girlies.

Thank you much to anyone who can give a word of advice in advance.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hey there TexasChickenhopeful

Dawg53 said it all~ Thanks for the links dawg53

we are an hour from San Antonio-- drought, heat -- same, same as you probably!

Keep your chicks cool and well watered during the heat spells. Haven't seen mosquitos this year either, our chiggers and grasshoppers are down too---and my chickens LOVE grasshoppers, and cicadas.

Good luck finding the vaccines and care for your pets.

4. TexasChickenhopeful

TexasChickenhopeful New Egg

Mar 23, 2011
    Thanks for those great links Dawg53! And, yes, Chickat, the drought and heat here has been unbelievable. What are you doing to keep your chickens cool? Since we moved ours outside, I've been doing the basics: filling up their waterer with ice water every day, and keeping their coop in the shade, when they are in it. Not sure what more we can do, easily and logically, short of bringing them back in during the hottest part of the day (though once it's hot here, it doesn't really cool off till night fall), and relegating them to a big box, in the air conditioned green room. I've read about misters for the outside of coops, and conflicting things about spraying/misting the chickens directly (initially read not to do it unless the chickens were actually suffering heat stroke, then also read someone was doing it a few times daily to keep 'em cool). Here's to happy chickens!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I use a couple of fans to circulate air in their house. I shut off the one at the entrance at night when I lock them inside. There's a fan inside that blows air out the rear vent 24/7, sucking fresh air in from the side vents. There isnt any air blowing directly on them.

6. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Once you get 10 posts you can post pictures....here's a how to link.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504

To keep my girls cool, I do a few different things. First of all make sure they have some shady areas...my girls favorite spot is an old fence panel leaned up against the fence. I also freeze Gatorade and 2 liter bottles, and put them in the shady spots. They snuggle up to those to keep cool. And their favorite snack right now is frozen watermelon and cantaloupe/honeydew melons... I cut it in half, or quarters and throw them in a Ziploc and freeze them... They destroy those when they are put outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by