Dusting for mites, lice, etc.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wvchickenhouse, Nov 18, 2011.

1. wvchickenhouse

wvchickenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Pax, WV
    How often should you dust your chickens bedding and coop for lice and mites? How can you tell if they have them? I try to keep my coop really clean but don't want to be putting too much dust in there. Thanks [​IMG]

2. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    I have never dusted the coop or bedding. Dusting the birds was effective enough. I inspect the flock once a month to see if there are any present and treat them as needed. Also I reccomend keeping a box of ash available for dusting which lowers the problems.

3. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Mine have plenty of sand for dustbaths so I've never had that problem. Sorry. I think u just dust if u see them.

4. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    If you want go ahead and the next time you clean add Food Grade DE to the bedding with each clean out. The best way to see if you have an infestation of mites or lice is to keep a couple of pure white chickens in the flock and check feather face and vent areas every 2-3 weeks. Go to the internet and you will find pics of the varmits for identification. If you have an infestation there are many posts on getting rid of them.

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Twice a yr. When I do a through clean out of the coop. I spray it with sevin then add the wood chips on the floor. On the poop tray I add sand, sweet pdz and a little sevin mixed in. So far I have not had trouble with lice etc. Once I dusted the hens with chicken dust just for assurance because some wild bantams had taken up not far from my coop. Another time when I had mice, before I had cats. If I get new hens I always dust with poultry dust while they are in quarantine. Gloria Jean

6. wvchickenhouse

wvchickenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Pax, WV
    Thanks everyone, that was some good info. I've not had any problems yet, just want to make sure it stays that way. [​IMG]

7. Half pintfarms~

Half pintfarms~ Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    Dothan, AL.
    I dust my coops once every 2 month! the birds every month just in case and you will see them close to the vent and around the neck mostly and up under the wings=)

8. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

dusting birds once a month here too

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Where do you find ash? Is it just ash from a fire? [​IMG] I am making a dust bath for my chickens today, and was told DE and sand. I've heard to put ash in it as well, but where would I find it? Can I make it myself out of a camp-fire ashes or something? Sorry if this sounds stupid [​IMG]

10. PowerMom

PowerMom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2011
    Don't know about the ash thing, but we put only DE under the watering area, and in the nesting boxes when we clean them each month. In the 15 years my friend has been doing this, she's never had more than a bit of a roach problem around the water. The DE is also safe for the chickens to ingest if they eat the dead critters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by