Dusting for Mites/Lice?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicks Galore3, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I've had some featherloss/rumply chickens and I would like to dust them for mites/lice. Would DE do the trick? And how would I got about doing it and looking for mice/lice?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's best to look at night as some types are only on the birds during the day. They hide in cracks, in the litter, on the underside of roosts -- wherever they can.

DE will give you some knockdown of both mites and ants, but it won't stop them. You need a pyrethrin/permethrin dust or spray, often available as "poultry dust" in feed stores, or something like Adams' Flea and Tick spray which WalMart carries, as does a vet, usually. Really the most effective thing is Sevin 5% garden dust. It also comes in a liquid which is handy for painting cracks and rough spots in the coop, and underneath roosts.

Vhttp://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

3. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thank you! here are some pictures-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    DE is better as prevention. It definitely wont stop a infestation. I ended up with a group that were infested and lost a rooster to them before I realized he even had them. It was terrible- I was so new to all of it I didn't even know it was a thing to watch for. You have to part the feathers near the rump until you can see skin. they are tiny, like book mites, and sorta a tan color.

I was told to use adams flea spray. It worked. I dont know if that's really what you should use, i know there's significant cross-species issues with such medications and treatments. Though all other birds survived, the mites left (i used DE also with the adams) and life went on.

I dust my feathered birds myself periodically, just to make sure. That's just my two cents on my experiences. If I ever had it to do over I'd keep my birds enclosed to cut down on such things from the wildlife. It was not pleasant.

5. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Ok- I found some poultry dust. How much do I use and how do I use? :)

6. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    I also put my fireplace ash out in the run for the hens to dust bathe in. Its a trick that I got from one of the pest forums on this site. I have not had to use poultry dust yet but I'm not saying that I wont due to using the ash. Maybe this will help control the pests after you treat your flock.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  7. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thanks! I will dry that.

8. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    This was a helpful thread... Chicks Galore, did you manage to get rid of your birds' lice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by