Dusting for Mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redonthehead, Aug 13, 2011.

1. redonthehead

redonthehead Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    Just wondering if anyone has some tried and true methods for dusting your chickens for mites? Tips/tricks/advice?

Thanks as always for the help! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    There's a great video on YouTube here:

He calls it "powdering" instead of dusting.
    I used "Sevin" which I bought a Home Depot I think. Worked just fine.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I switched over to Permethrin 10% spray. It's easier to apply then dusting. Just mix up a batch in a pump sprayer and spray down the birds at night when they roost. Residue lasts about 28 days on the birds. I alternate between that and pour on ivermectin. The layers I only use the Permethrin on. TSC has it.

4. I had a nasty outbreak of mites once. Just be careful when dusting or spraying small chicks. Ive lost 2 because their little bodies were too small to handle such a large dose of the stuff. I used the ivermectin spray and dusted their roosts with permethrin powder.

5. sshavney

sshavney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Liberty Mounds, OK
    I have been using DE and have not been happier. The food grade DE is safe, safe,safe! Worked within minutes of putting on them. I use it for the dust bath as well. I get mine at the feed store.

6. mandereli

mandereli Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    I didn't know there was a Permethrin spray.. sounds less messy. Anyway, for my two cents, I take old pantyhose and cut off the leg, I put the Permethrin powder in there, tie a knot. Since the nylon has elasticity, it makes it easy to "bounce" it all over the bird, it helps with applying just the right amount. Someone else holds the bird while I lift up the feathers and "powder puff" them. I start with the head and work down. Good luck!

7. redonthehead

redonthehead Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    Thanks a ton for all the info. The spray definitely sounds easy - sounds like I wouldn't need to do it one bird at a time... I'm not entirely sure wha I could get here, but I'll check out our local feed store and see what they offer.. can I get the Permethrin spray at a feed store or is it something only available through a vet or something like that?

Thanks a ton! Loved the video - it was a huge help!

Jane [​IMG]

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Ivermectin SPRAY?

9. ky-chicken-farmer

ky-chicken-farmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    i mix up the permethrin liquid in a garden sprayer and when i clean the coop i will spray the floor and all the wood interior and make sure i spray all the cracks really well. Then monthly i will spray just the roosts and and cracks and corners. I still use permthrin dust on the hens I use an old Dawn bottle to squirt a lil dust under the wings and vent. Throw in sum DE in the nests and dust baths. Ive been pretty lucky with this Proactive approach

10. ky-chicken-farmer

ky-chicken-farmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    i mix up the permethrin liquid in a garden sprayer and when i clean the coop i will spray the floor and all the wood interior and make sure i spray all the cracks really well. Then monthly i will spray just the roosts and and cracks and corners. I still use permthrin dust on the hens I use an old Dawn bottle to squirt a lil dust under the wings and vent. Throw in sum DE in the nests and dust baths. Ive been pretty lucky with this Proactive approach

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by