Dusting, Is it important?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickitybickity, Nov 27, 2014.

1. chickitybickity

chickitybickity Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2014
    With the weather turning wet, and my yard muddy, my chickens have not had any good dry dirt to dust themselves. Is it important for them too? Please any suggestions will be most helpful.

2. ChickenLover172

ChickenLover172 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2014
    North Carolina
    Yes, it's very important for them to dust, it's how they bathe themselves. Dusting softens up their feathers and gets rid of any external parasites. If there is any dry dirt left, you can dig some up and put it in a big plastic container (big enough for two or three chickens to fit in) and fill it up with the dirt and put it in their coop in a dry place where it won't get wet. If there isn't any dry dirt available around the yard, diotomascus dirt (I think that's what it's called) should be available at your local poultry supply store. [​IMG] Hope this helps.

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Just take a kitty litter pan and fill it with sand or dirt and place it in the coop. They need it to bathe in but it also helps with boredom.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Another reason why using deep litter is good. My hens have spa time every day, rain or shine, inside the coop....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and we have no problems with parasites. In winter we dump the wood ashes there for them to use also, but the rest of the time it's just the shavings breaking down along with whatever else I've thrown in there.

5. chickitybickity

Nov 24, 2014
    Thank you guys soo much for all of your help! I have so much to learn.

6. chickitybickity

Nov 24, 2014
    I appreciate everyone's feed back. Thank you

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by