1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dusting Sulphur???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chix-in-GA, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Chix-in-GA

Chix-in-GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville, GA
    Hi all...Just got back from the local Feed store with a question.

I know that I should dust my birds for mites...seeing as how I am new to the chicken thing I went to the feed store to ask what I should use. The nice guy at the store gave me "Hi-Yield dusting sulphur".

Is this OK to dust my chickens with? And can I dust my young RIR, they are 12 weeks old?

Thanks in advance to all you chicken guru's... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  2. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Apparently you got it from the Nashville Feed Store..No doubt it will kill lice and mites, But I would not use it on poultry or pets..If it were me I would take it back and ask for 5% sevin..If they don't have it I'm sure Mrs Griner does..Fred's has it also....

3. Chix-in-GA

Chix-in-GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville, GA
    Yet again you are my local 411 for everything. I never thought of Freds...Funny. I think i will not go to the Feed store anymore.

Thanks again

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

He might mean a product called Dri-Kill which is a mixture of sulfur and rotenone, I have a container as a precaution against mites, ticks, lice...good instructions on container, use mainly around vents and under wings. Can be sprinkled on bedding, on roosts and in nests, too. I haven't been able to find Sevin yet, and I know Miss Prissy and many other folks here like it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by