1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. pheasant24

pheasant24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    do finches and parakeets dust themselves? do i have to put anything in the cage so they can?

2. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

You don't need to provide dust baths to finches and budgies. They do like to bathe in water, though. You can offer a mist shower at first and see if they like it. You can also offer a bowl of water for bathing while you're watching them (leaving it in the cage all the time will turn it into a toilet). Budgies also like to bathe in wet greens. If you have some clumps of dandelions in a safe area, dig some up, rinse them off, and leave them sopping wet in the bottom of the cage.

3. pheasant24

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    ahhh....wow! that is wierd! haha ok i will do that!
    so does that keep away lice and mites and what not?

4. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Quote:Budgies sometimes like to bathe on wet leaves, because in their natural habitat they don't always have a lot of access to water and so they will rub on wet leaves as an alternative. [​IMG]

Lice and mites should rarely be a problem with indoor caged birds! Mites and lice need to be transferred from another bird (either wild birds or another pet that has them). With good housekeeping practices and by quarantining any new arrivals you can avoid having to worry about mites or lice! [​IMG] It is very easy to keep indoor pet birds lice and mite free.

5. pheasant24

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    ok gotcha! thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by