1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

My coop is fairly dusty. Not good the the flocks respiratory system.
    I was just wondering if their is any thing I can do to reduce the dust levels? Spray water?

Thanks in advance.

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Dusty is better than damp.
    Much of the dust comes from the chickens themselves, so misting the coop would have no real effects

3. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    What kind of bedding are you using? I have noticed that my coops with deep litter have zero dust, but the ones I am using straw or shavings in (or a mix of the two) are very dusty.

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Chickens throw dust into the air when the scratch and bathe themselves. Unless the dust is airborne all the time, I would not be concerned. Chickens are messy animals.

Mine drink from the dog's bucket when they are out. Daily, I find a layer of fine silt in the bottom from the chickens. This bucket sits in the grass, not close to the dirt.

Chris

5. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

O.K, thanks.
    I find that when I turn the material I have to wear a dust mask because it is to hard to breathe.
    But this only happens when I really stir up the material.
    ( I use Lime and DE ).

6. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    A lot of dust is always around where there are chickens. I agree that dry is much better than wet and you are wise to wear a dust mask when you stir any bedding material. I always wear one when I am cleaning or adding bedding material/DE.

7. sn0wwhite

sn0wwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    MN
    This is why I switched from DE to sweet PDZ - it's not as fine and floaty when it gets kicked up I find.

8. A HappyHenLover

A HappyHenLover Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    SE Wisconsin
    So, the dust doesn't really bother the Birds? Since I have a baby pool of wood ash and dirt for them and they really go at it and stir up the dust.

9. shotzy007

shotzy007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    Texas
    I use PDZ powder not granules on the poop bar.. I usually wear a mask when cleaning it, but either the allergies are finally bothering me in Austin Texas, or the dust in the coop is! Any ideas?

10. sn0wwhite

sn0wwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    MN
    Is it ok for the PDZ to end up in the garden?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by